Wednesday, December 19, 2007

Last week I slipped out of work and went by Osuna Gallery in Bethesda they had on exhibit The Washington Women Show. How fun was that?

The first work I see is by Francie Hester the gorgeous Vestige 26, acrylic and wax on aluminum. This prompted me to email her - we knew each other over twenty years ago when she ran the New Art Center and I had a gallery next door in the Takoma Metro Art Center.

Inside I saw Andrea Way's lovely ink and acrylic Slipstream (Her charming Cicada print is a favorite in the NIH collection) and photographer Claudia Smigrod who we exhibited when I was working with the Atheneaum.

The most surprising was Bernis von zur Muehlen who taught at my elementary school (Willston) when I was in the 6th grade. I remember we threw her a surprise party in her home and even at that young age I was amazed by her and her husband's photography.

It is a delightful show - thoughtful. It somehow sidesteps being a "Women's Show" . I didn't even realize it until I picked up a gallery sheet as I was leaving. Its well curated and quite obviously full of artists who don't get enough exposure. So go see it even if you don't have a myriad of emotional connections to the artwork. Up through Jan 5. I'm not sure what the holiday hours are so you might want to call first. 301 654 4500.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Subscribe with Bloglines