Sunday, July 01, 2007

Charlottesville

When in Charlottesville last week I made a concentrated effort to hit all of the galleries. I saw Sally Mann's show at Second Street Gallery. I loved her large images of daughter Virginia, as with all of Mann's work they hardly seem like photographs. The What Remains series I had seen at the Corcoran. One of her untitled images of a found object reminded me of a photograph of Rodin's Balzac, they were really my favorite, beautifully simple yet so evocative. created on glass rather than paper, I loved the surface as much as the images.


I also found a delightful new gallery, Migration: A Gallery. on exhibit Women in Printmaking. One of my favorite artists who I haven't seen in forever, Richmond based, artist Foust was on exhibit. Margie Crisp who is new to me and does lovely work and Betty McDonald who is currently in the same Strathmore show I'm in - Strathmore celebrates Women in the Arts. Anyway, I loved Migration, beautiful space, thoughtful installation and interesting variety of media. Also the most delightful UVA intern gallery sitting, in that six degrees of Kevin Bacon, we realized her roommate knows Remi. One if my favorite artists was in the bins, Brian Mallman. I had a tough time not buying one of his drawings. (not a great photo here) am t0tally starting to regret it. @ 400.00 it was a steal. Migration has published a book of Brian's portraits of passers-by from a 2007 exhibit in the gallery. it has a very postsecret feel. I cant wait to show it to KT, she will love it.


I saw Loes Van Riel at Angelo. When we were building the collection we purchased three of her mixed media pieces for MJH. She has a background in jewelry making, and does just exquisite work. I offered her a show at NIH in 2008. Loes web site here



Also for the first time, I went to C&O gallery/restaurant and saw a delightful exhibit of b&w photographs, Concrete World. I met the owner as I was leaving and he gave me a tour. What a great space, I can't wait to go back and dine there! this image from their site... here




0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Subscribe with Bloglines